At St Mary’s we believe that every child has the right to high-quality effective teaching that equips students with lifelong numeracy skills that enable them to become active and capable members of society.
Through the learning of Mathematics St Mary’s fosters:
- Interest and curiosity in Mathematics.
- Accuracy and speed in computational skills.
- An understanding of Mathematical reasoning and language while viewing Mathematics as an integral part of learning - not an isolated subject.
- Confidence in student’s personal knowledge of Mathematics, so they feel able to apply and acquire new knowledge and skills when needed.
- Useful Mathematical skills for use in everyday life.
- Students ability to see Mathematics connections and be able to apply Mathematics concepts skills and processes in posing and solving Mathematical problems.
- Students ability to discuss, explain and justify their choice of strategies and procedures.